Friday, December 4, 2009

The Canyons

“…how’s about we take a road trip to the Canyons?” her face beamed with excitement.  I glanced at her then back on the road, “Are you sure, honey? I mean like we been there for a million times already.” She slumped back to the seat, “Yea, I guess you’re right.” I sensed her spirits was down, “I guess we can drop by on the way to my parents?” She smiled then lean over to kiss my cheek. I grinned, “I don’t know why you love it there so much.”  She stopped to think and though in the dark I knew she was biting her lips, “I guess beauty never fades there, no matter how many times you go it’s still the same heart-stopping scene.”  Then came the bright lights...

I shut my suitcase tight. Alice’s already settled in the passenger’s seat. I loaded everything into the trunk. In no time, I started the long drive to Flagstaff. Yea, it’s the trip we’ve been planning for. I smiled. Spring finally came to an end, not that I don’t like the season- I just wanted it to pass. Summer’s now knocking on Mother Nature’s door and now’s the right time for a road trip. Nothing like sunshine, brownness and summer breeze to wake your senses- well, it beats the workplace.

Ah, the’ 62.1 miles to Flagstaff’ sign. My neck muscles ached from the long drive. I looked at my wife, “Here we are darling- where the beauty never ends.” I turn back to the road and she smiled.  I drove and headed for the North Rim. I switched the channel for slower tracks. I could hear her sigh, waiting patiently. If she had her way, I think I’d be persuaded to live in one of the caves here too- don’t tell her that though, she might just give me a smack. Now there’s a thought to laugh about.  

The day was about to end. Orange and red hue stretched its arms, colouring clouds and bathing the sky in the loveliest combination. The scenery just took my breath away. Alice was right, she always is. I bit my lip as I looked past the tall rocks and over the dry rocky terrain. Suddenly, I could feel Alice smiling, I smiled. “Beauty never fades here, no matter how many times.”

I opened the porcelain box.

“It’s time that you fly and rest forever in the place you love… I love you, baby.” I held the ashes on my open palm and the breeze-like cued- blew them away.  “Always your beauty will remain here, Alice.” For a moment, I could feel a warm familiar touch on my cheek. I closed my eyes.

 I will always love you. 

Then the wind blew it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment