Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dear Mama and Daddy

Dear Mama and Daddy,
I miss you dearly and I just want you to know I’m doing well here. Remember the project I was in? I got the job!?! I’m going to start my new company soon. Wish You Were Here.
                                                                                                               Lots of Love,
Lizzie

Dear Mama and Daddy,
How are you? I still miss you. It’s been awhile since I wrote and this time I have the happiest news! I told you of my dream of starting a company, well, I did! Though we were new, the orders came in like a tsunami here for us. The greatest news of all is…
I’m Coming Home.

                                                                                                               Lots of Love,
Lizzie

Elizabeth left the bright beaches of Miami on a flight to Michigan. Her heartbeats were quick; no surprise, she was nervous. It has been awhile since she visited her parents.

Her tiny rented car parked outside a suburban house. She didn’t realised how much she missed the place. It was as beautiful as she remembered. She secured her car and walk up the driveway to the door. She fitted the key and turned the knob.

Air rushed through her and there it was…that same old wood smell. She placed her keys in the basket on a cupboard by the door. Everything, she realised, was new. The cupboard by the door, the rug and the chairs were all new. She made her way to the living room, admiring every new detail. At the mantel, she stopped short. The pictures…they weren’t hers neither theirs. A voice startled her.

“What are you doing? This is my house and I will call the police for trespassing.” The voice said, punching numbers while keeping a close eye on the stranger.

“Don’t…please, I thought my parents lived here. I didn’t exactly trespass. I entered with my key which I put into your basket. I don’t want any trouble.”

The owner put her phone down. “Your parents? I thought they didn’t have children.”

“Well, I ran away to chase my dreams and haven’t came back since. They’ve never believe I could do it. Do you know where they are? I miss them dearly.”

“No one called you? They…passed away two years ago in a freak accident on their way to the annual Christmas Musical…I’m so sorry.”

Tears rolled down Elizabeth’s cheeks. Her heart ached…They were gone…
The yellow and orange leaves coloured the cemetery beautifully. Elizabeth walked past tombstones, searching for her parents. At the far corner, under an old oak, two lonely tombstones stood side by side.

Elizabeth dropped to her knees with her hands on the tombstones. Hot tears rolled down onto the grass. She was their child…how could she have left them? Well, she did…she wanted live her dream…but if she knew this would happen, she would never leave…

I’m sorry, Mama, I wasn’t there.
I’m sorry, Daddy, I didn’t follow your dream.

Elizabeth unhooked her bag and pulled out a bunch of letters neatly tied with a rubber band. She untied the band with a crooked smile. Together, the three listened to the story of one of them who left to chase her dream while only the other two knew that they have always believed in her and her dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment