Sunday, September 20, 2009

Unresolved

You want to know something? I really thought my love was meant to be. He was the best puzzle fit I could ask for...well, it didn't work out. We feel out and I couldn't care less about it. 

"Frankie, are you finished with that? I've got to run these samples." I turned to find Monroe, my colleague holding two test tubes. "Yea, I am. Sorry." 

"You know you should really take a break, you know go home and jam with the fam." she said doing a grooving hip dance. I gave her a blood-shot look "I'm sure I'll totally enjoy myself on the nostalgia road. Please, I'm never going back there." That was the last thing I remember saying. Well, I was wrong...

"Hey Frankie, long time since I've seen you. Oh, how have you grown!! My my..." a voice from the back startled me. I turned and what'd you know- it's Valerie. "Hey, yea I guess I fed me right." Valerie ignored the joke. "Well, you coming down to my place? Jake's in town too." That is the last place on earth I want to be. "No but thanks for the offer." I turned to walk away. "Jake has never been the same, you know." she called out after me. I stopped dead...still I had to keep my face so I kept on walking, forcing my legs to work beyond paralysis. 

With a bag full of fruits from the market down town, I headed across the lawn to my parents' house. Clearly Valerie given the heads-up because before I reached the door, they were running to me. "Frankie, my darling, Val was right. Look how you have grown!! Arthur, isn't she a beauty." My mother continued admiring my figure. "Word travels fast here, doesn't it" I said under my breath then smiled and hug my mother, "Hi mum. Good to see you. Hey Dad." 

I settled into my old bedroom. I forgot how it was- full of posters and...more posters. I winced. I turned to the dressing table, opened the drawers. I ran my fingers through the dust-covered box, unlatched it and drank in its contents. Crispy old paper, broken necklace and the note. Not just any note- THE NOTE. It read:

I only wait for when
when your eyes gaze into mine
Love Jake

It was the last note, that's why. After that we just fell apart because of an argument that was never resolved. Well, that's my old life. I'm starting a new one.

Thought it might be the best time to take a stroll down at the park, so I tuned in the playlist on the ipod and started jogging. It always stayed the same. The colour of the trees, the children running screaming "Tagged you!" and the blue skies with white fluffy clouds. It felt good to be in familiar grounds, yet sometimes it doesn't. "Frankie honey, someone left you with a note on your dressing." Mum shouted from below. 

I hate it when he does that, totally hating how he gets his way. It makes me so frustrated beyond words. Anyhow, this would be the last so I might as well meet up. I drove to the diners and found the one I just wasn't dying to meet- Jake Thomson.

I stood in front of him, "By the way, notes are so a thing of the past.". "Sorry, I was used to doing that." he apologized and we went in. Most of the conversation was how each of us were doing and what's our biggest project so far. Martha serves the best food in town, period. So the night was classic- conversation and good food. It was by nine we left and came the part of goodbyes.

"Guess I'll see you around." Jake said and leaned over to kiss me on the lips. I turned away, "Don't. I'm going off tomorrow. Got work." I left for home.

"So you got everything packed?" My mum asked me then continued, "You know you're always welcome to stay a week here". I looked at her apologetically at her, "Mum, you know I want too but I got work." I hugged her and said my goodbyes to dad before leaving for the open road back to the city.  

As usual, another day of lab work. Monroe covered most of the project so I'm left with fine tuning while she does the report. I heard a knock on the door. "Are you serious? Monroe, I told you not to get me a cup." I said as I swing the door open. 

It wasn't Monroe. It was Jake. My darling Jake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment